Monday, September 14, 2009

Holy Smokes, this is AMAZING!

Our nephew who's living with us is awesome. His wife's sister served her mission in LA and apparently learned to make killer Mexican food. He got these recipes and we tried them out over the weekend. They are HEAVENLY so I thought I would share.

Guacamole
4-5 avocados mashed
1 finely chopped tomato
4-5 minced cloves of garlic
1 shallot or 2 small green onions chopped
juice of one lime
salt to taste

Refried Beans
1 bag pinto beans
4 garlic cloves cut in half
garlic salt to taste
pepper jack cheese

Put a bag of dried pinto beans and 4 cloves of garlic in a crock pot and cover with a lot of water. Turn the crock pot on high and let cook for about 6 hours. Once the beans can easily be mashed with a fork you'll know they're done. Blend them up in the blender along with the cloves of garlic. Use the water they were cooked in to help the blending process a long. Add garlic salt to taste. (If you dont' have a blender you can mash them yourself.) Then put beans in a pan with some butter and a lot of pepper jack cheese. Stir it all around till melted. YUM!

Carne Asada
Add the following ingredients to a bag and let marinate at least 6 hours but even better over night!

about 2 pounds of milenasa meat chopped in strips. (You can use whatever your favorite steak is, just be sure to cut it in thin strips. Milenasa is almost paper thin and it's amazing!)
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
2 limes juiced
4-5 garlic cloves minced
optional 1 tsp salt

Once meat is done marinating simply place in a pain on the stove and cook till cooked through.

Place beans, guacamole and carne asada on a flour tortilla and enjoy!

4 comments:

canadacole said...

Mexican Schemexican--I had no idea you had people living with you! How fun is that? Very cool!

Ana said...

I'm so excited to try the beans and carne asada! My beans are always somewhere between ho-hum and p.u., and I am Mexican so what's up with that? Also I just made an inferior marinade last night (that the kids liked but what do THEY know?) and I'm SO excited to wipe the slate clean with something fabulous.

I thought I was vegetarian this morning when I checked out the PETA website to read about some rumours of cows being mistreated...your post switched me right back to the carnivore team where I belong. Thanks Shandee! Sorry, PETA.

heidi said...

Can we come over for dinner? ha ha
That sounds so good, and will try these recipes! Thanks for sharing:)

Cory or Cari said...

I want to see your kids costumes!